THE RUSSELL PAGE GARDEN AND THE PAVILION ARE CITY, STATE & NATIONAL LANDMARKS
In March 1973, the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) designated the Frick Collection an Individual Landmark. This included the Beaux Arts-style Henry Clay Frick mansion (1914), designed by Carrère and Hastings, and the Frick Art Reference Library, designed first by Thomas Hastings in 1924 and expanded upon, by John Russell Pope, in 1935.
The 1973 designation was expanded via amendment on November 12, 1974 to incorporate three additional lots to the East of the original Frick mansion (the former site of the 1909 Widener House at 5 East 70th Street, purchased and demolished by the Frick in 1974) specifically stipulating “a garden will be developed on these lots.”
In 1974, Kent Barwick, then Executive Director of the Municipal Art Society, noted at a meeting of the Landmarks Preservation Commission, the eclecticism and harmony of the architecture of East 70th Street:
“… we must consider the whole of East Seventieth Street from Madison to Fifth Avenue. Stylistically, it goes from French to Italian classical to hopelessly eclectic. And yet it’s one of the most successful block fronts in the city. The Municipal Art Society strongly suggests that the entire block should be preserved as a landmark.”
In 1977, the Frick announced the “small one-story pavilion and a permanent garden and pavilion” in a celebratory press release.
Landmarked at the City, State and National levels, the ensemble of The Frick Collection is significant and must be protected from this short-signed and careless destruction. See below for official documentation.
- The Frick Collection Individual Landmark designation
Landmarks Preservation Commission, New York City, March 20, 1973.
- The Frick Collection Individual Landmark designation expansion
Amendment to the Designation Report of The Frick Collection
Landmarks Preservation Commission, New York City, November 12, 1974.
Expansion of designation site to include the site of the former Widener town house and two additional adjacent lots, stipulating “… a garden will be developed on these lots.”
- Upper East Side Historic District designation
Landmarks Preservation Commission, New York City, May 10, 1981.
Includes The Frick Collection and acknowledges both the 1973 Individual Landmark designation as well as the 1974 designation amendment.
- Upper East Side Historic State and National Register Historic District
National Register of Historic Places, 1984 (NR# 84002803).
- National Historic Landmark designation of The Frick Collection
Secretary of the Interior, October 6, 2008.
—National Historic Landmark Designation Report for The Frick Collection,
issued by the Secretary of the Interior, October 6, 2008